Advanced Motivational Interviewing
A Three-Day Intensive Workshop to Explore
Advanced Practice, Training, and Supervision of M.I.
In-person workshop with both trainers all 3 days
October 18 –20, 2021
Sheraton Uptown Hotel, Albuquerque, New Mexico
18 CEs accredited by the
American Psychological Association
This workshop is designed for participants with previous training and experience using MI in clinical settings. Newer users of MI will likely struggle to participate fully in practice exercises for this advanced workshop. If you are in doubt, we can discuss this with you individually. We encourage international applicants, recognizing that the workshop requires a facile working knowledge of English.
Some of the topics we will cover in this workshop:
- Offering complex reflections: how to do it and how to teach it
- Cultivating Change Talk: Advanced methods for encouraging change talk from clients
- Expression of Empathy versus Softening Sustain Talk: How to hit the balance
- When and how to maintain neutrality in people’s dilemmas
- Supervising MI: A primer on what we know and tools to help
- MI in Groups: How is it the same, how is it different?
William Miller, Ph.D. is Emeritus Distinguished Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of New Mexico. The original founder of Motivational Interviewing, Dr. Miller’s distinguished career has spanned five decades, pioneering methods to inform how clinicians treat and respond to their clients.
Theresa B. Moyers, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist and Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of New Mexico. Dr. Moyers’ research focuses on the training of therapeutic skills as well as identifying causal mechanisms of Motivational Interviewing. She is co-author with Dr. Miller of the 2021 book Effective Psychotherapists: Clinical Skills that Improve Client Outcomes.
Held in Beautiful Albuquerque, NM at the Sheraton Hotel Uptown (2600 Louisiana NE)
- Onsite sleeping rooms available
- Walking distance from many hotel and restaurant choices
- Local attractions including Sandia Tram, Old Town and Pueblo Cultural Center
- Rooms reserved at special rate of $119 per night for workshop participants
- Must be reserved by September 14, 2021
- Click here to reserve rooms.
- You must be present for all three full days in order to receive CE credits.
- Payment can be made through PayPal/credit card or check. No purchase orders can be processed for this training.
- You may receive a full refund for this workshop prior to July 15. After July 15, no refunds will be issued.
- If COVID restrictions are enacted in New Mexico which render in person training impossible, this workshop will convert to an online format.
Click here to register today!
This training is ideal for individuals who have already learned the basics of MI and are using it in their professional settings, including social workers, clergy, health educators, care managers, counselors, psychologists, corrections officers and many others.
Included in the Workshop
- 18 hours of expert training with both teaching and experiential components
- Lunch and coffee each day
- 18 hours of CEUs from the American Psychological Association
Click here to register today!
Click here to reserve rooms.